Rules of the competition 2022
- The International Arthur Grumiaux Competition for Young Violinists is a competition open to violinists of any nationality organized by the Arthur Grumiaux Foundation and the association Best of Violin. The 14th edition takes place from April 6 till April 9, 2022 in Brussels, Belgium at the Royal Conservatory of Brussels (KCB) : Rue de la Régence, 30 – 1000 Brussels.
- The competition runs in four categories:
Category A : for participants born in 2011 and later
Category B : for participants born in 2008, 2009 and 2010
Category C : for participants born in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007
Category D : for participants born in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003
- The registration deadline is January 31, 2022. Any incomplete file could result in the cancellation of the application. Registration consists in 3 steps that all need to be fulfilled before the registration deadline :
- Registration with the online form on www.grumiauxcompetition.be
- Pay the non-refundable registration fee (transfer and conversion fee are borne by the participant) : Category A & B : 80 € - Category C & D : 100 € - To be paid on beneficiary account : Best of Violin asbl - IBAN : BE75 0004 1339 0051 - Bank name : BPOST BANQUE - Bank BIC code : BPOTBEB1 (BPOTBEB1XXX) - Bank address : Rue du Marquis 1/2 - 1000 Bruxelles
- The maximum number of participants is limited to around 70, all categories combined. A jury headed by the artistic director will make a pre-selection based on the video recordings sent by the participants. The registrants will be advised of the acceptance or otherwise on February 15, 2022.
- No modification of the program is allowed after March 01, 2022. Pieces chosen by the participant must be approved by the jury and be part of a published directory. Etude or Caprice from preliminary round are played solo. All pieces must be performed from memory.
- For those who can’t come with their pianist, the competition proposes several experimented piano accompanists. Accompaniment fee: Cat A & B = 80 €; Cat C & D = 120 €. Payment must be made after acceptance and on March 01 2022 the latest. No accompaniment can be organized after this date.
- Travelling and accommodation expenses are borne to the participant. The Arthur Grumiaux Foundation cannot be held responsible for national or international government restrictions on travelling or cultural events.
- The jury is composed of internationally acknowledged musicians.
- The competition consists of a preliminary round and a final round in all categories. All events are open to the public for free.
- The results will be proclaimed after the end of performance of all participants from the same category. All participants receive a participation certificate. All finalists receive a diploma.
- All results are likely to be published on the website or social networks.
- The winners must perform for free at the laureates’s concert.
- The Organization reserves the Radio and TV broadcasting rights of the competition without compensation to participants.
- The Organization reserves the right to use photos and videos taken during the competition at the end of promoting its actual and future events, and publish them on its website or social networks.
- The Organization reserves the right to communicate information about the applicants to selected partner organizations (details on request).
- The Organization reserves the right to amend the rules in the interest of the competition.
- The jury has exclusive jurisdiction to settle any disagreement. Its decisions are final and cannot be contested. It may possibly be decided not to award a prize in one or another category. In case of a tie, the vote of the chairman is decisive.